Apart from supporting the head which is usually 9 to 12 pounds, the neck allows the head swivel a full 180 degrees. This is bound to put a lot of strain on the neck muscles, and with time, they degenerate and weaken. Coupled with bad posture, you may experience neck pain that varies in severity.Several neck exercises will help alleviate the pain. This exercise program consists of a combination of stretching and strengthening exercise, possible trigger point training, and aerobic conditioning. Understanding the underlying causes of the neck pain help you get the best out of the exercise regime.
Benefits of Neck Exercises
Bad posture caused by desk work can aggravate the neck muscles causing a lot of pain. Once you embrace these activities, you can do them anywhere and anytime. Neck exercises allow you to easily and painlessly rotate your head. Aerobic conditioning ensures there is an increased supply of blood in the neck region hence making the neck suppler and reducing stiffness. Neck strengthening exercises helps in reducing reoccurrences of neck pain.
To get the most out of any neck exercise session, you should seek the help of a professional who will give a proper diagnosis and advise you on the best neck exercises that would fit your individual needs. If the neck is too painful, your doctor will recommend other treatments that will help reduce the pain before starting on the exercises. Other forms of reducing pain on your neck and making the workout comfortable are:
Heat therapy – involves applying a heating pad on the stiff muscles and joints. This therapy helps in making the neck supple making it easier and comfortable to stretch.
Ice packs therapy – applying ice packs on your neck helps in reducing inflammation on the muscles and joints after exercise.
Neck exercises should not be painful and if any form of exercise is uncomfortable or causes a lot of pain, stop it and let your therapists recommend another one. Ensure that you manage the pain before any form of exercise. Anti inflammatory drugs and over the counter prescriptions can help relieve you of neck pain.
Below are some simple neck exercises that assist in strengthening the neck muscles:
- Put your legs together and knees apart while lying flat.
- Your palms should be up on the floor at 45 degrees to your body.
- Relax for two minutes and pay attention to what’s happening to your body. You will feel a great relief in your jaw, neck muscles and upper back.
- You should allow your back to arch off the floor for a while.
- Sit on the ground with your back against the wall and your feet hip-width apart.
- Your shoulder blades should be down and together. Tighten your thighs and put your toes back.
- Your head should be touching the wall and your feet straight.
- Hold on to that position for 3 minutes.
The exercise helps in activating the shoulder muscles and upper back. It also helps in keeping the spine in the right place.
- Lie flat on the floor with your legs on the chair. Your knees and hips should be at 90degrees.
- Place your arms at either 45 degrees or the same level with your palms.
The exercise helps your head and shoulder to be at the same level and allows your neck and upper back to relax.
- With your body flat on the floor, put your legs straight up it.
- Ensure that your tail bone rests flat on the floor if you are stiff in your arm strings.
- Tighten your thighs and put your toes back.
- Your feet should be hip width apart and are pointing out from the wall.
- Relax in that position for 3 minutes.
- Stand two feet from the corner. You should be facing the corner.
- Place your feet together
- Place your forearms on each wall and ensure that the elbows are below the shoulder height.
- Lean as much as you can but ensure that there is no pain.
- You will feel a stretch in the front of your chest and shoulder.
- Hold the stretch for about 30 minutes.
Be consistent and do the exercises every day and you will feel amazing. These neck exercises are useful for strengthening the muscles, reducing neck pain and preventing reoccurrences of the pain.
Let a professional therapist correctly diagnose the underlying cause of your condition, suggest the best medication and exercises that could can fit your individual needs and yield results much faster. You should never take neck pains for granted because it can cause a lot of discomfort and could be the beginning of serious complications in your body.